Trump has said that Tehran has up to two weeks to reach an agreement over its nuclear program
The US plans for possible strikes on Iran are at an advanced stage, with options including targeting individual leaders and pursuing regime change, Reuters reported on Friday, citing unnamed American officials.
The plans are being drawn up in case ongoing negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program fail to produce a result, the officials told the agency. Reuters previously reported that the Pentagon was preparing for a sustained, weeks-long operation targeting Iranian security and nuclear sites.
One official said targeted strikes on senior commanders during Israel’s 12-day air war last year against Iran had demonstrated the “utility” of such an approach. The official cautioned that such operations require extensive intelligence to locate targets and assess potential collateral damage.
In June 2025, Israel assassinated dozens of senior Iranian commanders and nuclear scientists, including the army chief of staff and the commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly floated the idea of toppling the Iranian government, saying it “seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.” He warned on Thursday that “really bad things” would happen unless Iran surrenders to demands to scrap its nuclear and ballistic-missile programs.
Tensions continue as the Omani-mediated talks held this week in Geneva produced no breakthrough. On Thursday, Trump gave Iran between 10 and 15 days to reach an agreement.
Washington has deployed two aircraft carrier strike groups and additional bombers to the Middle East. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has warned it would retaliate against US bases in the region if its territory is attacked.
Tehran maintains its nuclear program is peaceful. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told MSNBC on Friday that Tehran is working on a draft for a potential new agreement that could be presented to Washington within days. He said a diplomatic solution is the only way forward, while adding that the country is also “prepared for war.”
Moscow has warned that the standoff is “potentially explosive” and that strikes on Iran’s nuclear sites could cause a nuclear disaster, urging all sides to seek a peaceful settlement.
